From Feb 17 thru Mar 5, please allow an extra 5-7 business days for shipment.
Sorry for the delay, and thanks for your patience!
Alpha X Installation Guide
- Begin by removing the headset cap and any round spacers already on your fork. The Alpha X is designed with aero-matched stem spacers and an ultra-low dust cap for superior aerodynamic performance. Depending on your headset, you may or may not need to install some or all of the micro shims just below the dust cap. Each micro shim is 0.25mm thick. Most headsets will not require them. However, if there is play in your system after installation, some shims may be required.
- The Alpha X can be used with any number of round spacers above the stem portion, allowing you to leave room to adjust your position upwards in the future if desired. The stem is designed for best aerodynamic performance when used with 10mm or less of round spacers above the stem. At a minimum, use a 5mm spacer (included with the stem), and trim your steerer tube so that it ends 2-3mm below the top surface of that spacer.
- With the cable cover removed, install the Alpha X onto your fork as you would any other stem. Follow the torque specification of your headset for the headset preload bolt (in general, just enough torque to remove any play from the steerer column). Apply carbon paste around the steerer tube, and all interior surfaces of the Alpha X stem clamping zone, including the wedge-style steerer clamp. Install the wedge-style steerer clamp assembly, and adjust the stem so that your stem is in line with the front wheel. Then use 15-18 Nm of torque on the single M6 socket screw in the wedge-style steerer clamp to tighten the Alpha X to your steerer tube.
- The Alpha X features advanced cable routing for use with any drivetrain, as well as centerpull brakes like the TriRig Omega X. The brake routing system features a removable cable stop so that you can either run bare cable to your brake with the stop in place, or run full housing or a hydraulic line by removing the cable stop. For installations with the cable stop, the optimal housing length will depend on your particular equipment, but for aerodynamic purposes, it's best to attempt to route the cable such that it hides behind the frontal profile of your handlebars. That is, attempt to route the front brake cable housing so that it is not visible when viewed from the front of your bicycle.
- The Alpha X can accept any 22.2mm standard aerobar extension. It can be purchased with our own TriRig Gamma extensions which allow a variety of different positions to be achieved. However, it can also be purchased without any extensions so that you can use your own. Any standard extension may be used. Some older extensions use a 22.0mm diameter instead of the more common 22.2mm standard. These undersized extensions may be difficult to tighten down, and we cannot guarantee fit. However, we have successfully tested some 22.0mm extensions in the bar, and they fit well. So if you have a favorite extension in the 22.0mm standard, there's a good chance it will work in the Alpha X.
- For standard setups (extensions over the bar), you will need one set of curved Extension Washers, which sit directly on top of the Base Bar. Leave the extensions themselves aside, they will be installed last. On top of the Extension Washers, stack any Extension Spacers you are using, as well as the Extension Clamps. On top of these, stack the BTA Mount, and finally the Arm Cups. These parts all nest into one another, ensuring a good fit. Finally, take the appropriate length Thru Bolt which runs throughout the entire stack, pulling the Arm Cups towards the Base Bar, locking everything into place. Refer to the diagrams below for an exploded view:
- Alpha X comes with six sets of Thru Bolts, of varying lengths. The appropriate Thru Bolt to use will depend on how many spacers you have used. Use 5-6 Nm of torque on each Thru Bolt. Note that this is much less torque than is used on most other aerobars. Alpha X's simple design allows us to use far less torque and still keep everything together. This is an easier, safer design, and also reduces the possibility of damage during installation from a stripped screw, etc.
- 0-5mm in Spacers: use 50mm Thru Bolts.
- 10-15mm in Spacers: use 60mm Thru Bolts.
- 20-25mm in Spacers: use 70mm Thru Bolts.
- 30-35mm in Spacers: use 80mm Thru Bolts.
- 40-45mm in Spacers: use 90mm Thru Bolts.
- 50-55mm in Spacers: use 100mm Thru Bolts.
- For Under-Mount Setups (extensions underneath the bar), the installation procedure is similar to the standard setup above. However, in order to mount the Extension Clamps underneath the aerobar, you will need to use the additional set of curved Extension Washers, used between the Extension Clamps and the bottom of the Base Bar. Also, you will need the special Clamp Nuts which will nest into the Extension Clamps. Instead of the standard M6 Thru Bolts, use the special M5 Thru Bolts provided with the Undermount Kit. Stack the setup according to the diagram below, and tighten to a torque of 4-5 Nm.
- Finally, slip the extensions into the Extension Clamps and tighten the two M4 screws to a torque of 3 Nm. Note that this is relatively low torque compared to many other aerobars. As with the Thru Bolts, we designed the Alpha X Extension Clamps to provide a stable, secure grip without the need for unnecessarily high torque.
Note that you can access the Extension Clamp bolts at any time. There is ZERO bolt occlusion on Alpha X, meaning that all bolts are accessible at all times, and are never covered up by other pieces of hardware. All you have to do is remove the velcro pads, and you've got access to the Thru Bolts and Extension Clamp bolts. This is true no matter how you have set up your bar.
Extension Tilt Kit (optional)
- If you purchased the optional Extension Tilt Kit, install using the visual guide below. Note that the parts labeled in blue come with the Tilt Kit, while parts in grey are part of the standard Alpha X hardware.
- Setup guide for standard overmount tilted extension setup:
- Setup guide for slammed overmount tilted extension setup:
- Setup guide for undermount tilted extension setup: